Nic's Reviews > The Simple Gift

The Simple Gift by Steven Herrick

Jan 02, 11

bookshelves: 2010, favourites, aussie-ya, verse-books
Recommended for: Fans of verse novels
Read on December 01, 2010

Favourite Quote: "I'd go off alone, because you can't trust those who want to break the rules and you certainly can't trust those who make the rules, so you do the only thing possible, you avoid the rules."

Wow, I loved The Simple Gift. It is beautiful, touching and potent.

First off, The Simple Gift is written in verse. There is something about verse novels that resonates with me. Maybe because as a teen I often wrote my diaries in verse. I find sometimes simple words can capture so much emotion and this book is the perfect example of that.

The storyline deals with some compelling issues: friendship, love, living on the street, grief and family. Despite the hard issues it deals with this book made me feel happy and hopeful. The characters Bill, Old Bill and Caitlin creep into your heart and stay there. Maybe that is because when you reading this book it is like you are sharing the characters feelings.

There really are no words to describe how this story made me feel but I can tell you this is one of those books that I will keep forever.

Since, I am stuck for words how to describe my thoughts and I also because I love the writing, here is a favourite passage of mine:-
(from pg 127)

It was like falling headlong
into the clear waters
of the Bendarat River
and opening my eyes
to the beautiful
phosphorescent bubbles of light
and trying to capture those bubbles
in the new world of quiet and calm
that carried me along, breathless,
and too late, or too early,I surfaced
and broke the gentle tide,
and I gasped and rolled
and wished Caitlin and I
could return to the hush
of that special world
and we could float
safe for a lifetime
lost
and hoping never
to be found.

Overall, The Simple Gift is a powerful story that will linger in your thoughts long after you have read it. Fans of verse novels shouldn't miss this book.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Simple Gift.

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Wonderful review! I have issues with verse books >.<

message 2: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F Same here Tina. I either despise them or love them.

message 3: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I avoid them when I can.

message 4: by Morgan (last edited Jan 02, 2011 06:50AM) (new)

Morgan F yeah. I don't read too many. Only when they are free.

message 5: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I really enjoy verse. Going to add to by never ending TBR. Nice review Nic. :)

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Great review! Verse books aren't my thing, though.

message 7: by Lora (new)

Lora Great review Nic! I've got this at my lib and just may have to read it now. The only verse novels I've read are from Lisa Schroeder. She's awesome :)

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Lora, I really enjoyed Lisa Schroeder's books. I breezed right through them and I agree, she's awesome.

message 9: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Thanks guys! Completely understand verse novels are for everyone but I love them. Lisa Schroeder is a favourite of mine. I really want to try Ellen Hopkins even thought her books are sad. Lora or Arlene, have your read any of her books?

message 10: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F I don't like Lisa Schroeder. My two favorite verse novels are Sold by Patricia McCormick and Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams.

message 11: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I have Crank on my TBR but I haven't read it yet. Hmmm looks like I found another one to add to the TBR challenge. My pile is becoming daunting!

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic You are not alone there Arlene.

message 13: by Lora (new)

Lora My TBR pile scares me! LOL I haven't yet read anything from Ellen Hopkins, but I plan to eventually :)

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I nearly bought Impulse the other day. I am pretty sure her books are going to make me cry!