Arlene's Reviews > Covet

Covet by J.R. Ward

Jan 02, 11

bookshelves: paranormal, read-2011, romance, urban-fantasy, fallen-angel, adult
Read on January 01, 2011

Interesting new series by J.R. Ward, but not quite as captivating as her BDB series. However if you’re a die-hard fan of this author, I think The Fallen Angels series will keep you entertained as you wait for the release of the next BDB book.

Covet did suffer from a slow start, and I had a little issue with the setting and surrounding characters paralleling the BDB universe. I would have preferred for this series to stand on its own in that respect.

In addition, I’ve never been a huge fan of the whole fallen angels concept, but then again, I’ve only tried the YA attempts and the two that I’ve read were pretty much disappointing, so the reason I gave this one a try??? Well to be honest, I’m waiting for Lover Unleashed, so in the mean time, I’m looking for a distraction with the same appeal.

The concept of this book takes a while to grasp and digest and the characters aren’t anything extraordinary or squee-worthy really, but in the end, you have to admit it was slightly entertaining.

I liked Jim, but not as a MC, so we’ll see if I decide to go along with him on his journey as he’s chosen for possessing two halves, both good and bad in equal measure, and is presented with seven chances to influence his fellow man; and if he performs as the ‘good’ angels believe he will, the outcome shall save the souls in question and they shall prevail over the other side of life, ultimately allowing humanity to continue to thrive.

Seems like a far stretch, but overall you get caught up in the lives of those Jim is trying to influence, so the story eventually falls into place. Interesting and better in terms of other stories I’ve read on fallen angels, but still not high on my rating scale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Covet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal Great review! As always you said it better than me =) I agree completely!

Arlene Thanks Crystal. :) Hopefully the next one will be better, but this one wasn't too bad.

Crystal No I have read worse and continued on so I think I can manage at least the next one =)

message 4: by Nic (new)

Nic I found the slow start but me off and I only read 100 pages and gave up. Great review Arlene. Are you going to read Crave?

Arlene Thanks Nic! Yes after some debate Crystal and I decided to read Crave. We'll start on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.
We're looking for a good paranormal/ urban fantasy that's not YA. If you have any recs let us know. :)

Crystal Please Nic! We need something to get us through until Lover Unleashed comes out LOL!

message 7: by Nic (new)

Nic Hmmmm.........I liked the following series:

Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead (those two aren't overly steamy)

At my bookstores bookclub the JR Ward fans love these following series:
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost (which I like too)
Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld,  #1) by Gena Showalter (haven't read)

I will get back with you with some more :)

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Great review! Don't think that I'll read this, though. I didn't like the BDB series.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Hmmm not sure about this one... I haven't read BDB either. It sounds like I would need to first.

Arlene Not really. These books sort of stand on their own. But if you've read BDB you'll recognize some people that are from that series. I think with Ward, you have to get passed her first book in her series. Once you do, her cast and lore just takes off. She gets better as you continue. At least IMHO. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Maybe I will have to pick up one of her books. People have turned me on to so many awesome authors I am trying to get them all in.

Crystal better and better and V and Qhuinn oh sorry better! XD

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko You two realize your making my head spin. A girl doesn't know what to do first. You two and your wonder twin powers.

Arlene LMAO Crystal! Qhuay!!!!! At this point I'll even take a short story. Just give me something! LOL

@ JJJ LOL GR is the reason my TBR is out of control. Good luck trying to keep up with all the recs. I lost that battle a couple of years ago. :)

Arlene LOL JJJ Sorry we just have this thing about urban fantasy and well... you know how the story goes. ^^

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko You two just crack me up... It is like you all are tag teaming me. I love it I am just lol over here. I guess my list shall increase.

Crystal QHUAY SQUEEE!! I will even take a page!! I need that story asap!!
Yes UF is definitely a favorite! I am surprised that we have been able to keep everybody in every series straight lol!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Now who is Quay Squee from and when will the next book be out?

Arlene LOL JJJ you think this is insane... you'd split your nog if you saw how crazy we got behind the scenes when we're reading... ooops did I say that? ;) JJJ if you are interested in non-YA UF, I'd recommend Night Huntress. Jennifer is reading them, hopefully she'll chime in when she comes back from vacay.

@ Crystal. I know, right??!! One page, 5 paragraghs, 40 sentences... We're not asking for much. Just put us out of our misery already. LOL I was laughing about that too. I guess these characters just really leave an impression on us. :D

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I plan to read it will do it in November.. It is part of my fall line up. Girrr I can't wait to blush.

message 21: by Crystal (last edited Oct 19, 2011 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Crystal Shhhh I don't know what you are talking about Arlene *looks at behind the scene* um well okay maybe I do XD Nice tie in with nog btw =P

LOL! Yes I will take anything! The suspense is going to k!ll me! I find it very funny that I can list every character by name from BDB, DH, NH, and FA but I can't remember the name of the girl in the last YA that I read. Something is definitely strange with that =D

JJJ Qhuay are characters from Black Dagger series and well it is just a long story lol, but if you ever read the series you will understand the Squee =D

message 22: by Arlene (last edited Oct 19, 2011 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arlene LOL! Why thank you Crystal. I made it a point to use the word nog once in a sentence today. :D

HA! So true. I forget the names of YA characters all the time, but I can name every BDB character and their book by <3 XD

Oh darn I was looking forward to you explaining the Qhuay Squee. LMAO!

message 23: by Crystal (last edited Oct 19, 2011 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Crystal Err I don't even know where to begin with that one LMAO! Qhuinn, Blay, angst you know the usual^^ nope ummm okay I can't think of anything that will not make people look at me with O.O eyes XD I don't want them to start buggin' yo.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko lol you two are seriously killing me.... correct me if I am wrong. And I know you two won't hesitate. I hear BDB is complicated to read because it uses words that are defined in a special glossary at the beginning of each book... Am I correct?

Arlene @ Crystal... ROTFLMFAO! I don't even... I mean... I can't stop laughing. That was too perfect. XD Nice execution.... very nice. XD

BDB is not really complicated. Her lore is definitely unique, but no more so than other paranormal series. The glossary in the beginning of each book is just there for reference, but everything is explained in the story. It's like everything else we read... eventually it all falls into place.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Ah okay.. you know me it has to be easy. LOL. I don't mean to sound like a lazy reader.

Arlene Oh I know you're not a lazy reader. I totally get you. I feel the same way... a story needs to flow and having to check maps, reference glossaries, write down long character lists to keep people straight can really take away from the experience. I get ya JJJ.

Like I said though, I'd give Night Huntress a go before BDB. :)

Crystal Thank you thank you *bows* I learned from the best ;) I knew I could use it today XD

And my oh my does it fall in to place XD I agree all kidding aside the lore is really easy to understand. I think I appreciated it more in the second book. I don't think I used the glossary after the first one.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko You two should work for a marketing company or something.... you sure do a great job selling books to me. LOL

message 30: by Arlene (last edited Oct 19, 2011 02:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arlene Mencheres would be very proud of you Crystal. :D I want to use that now too!! Lucifer's hairy... oh wait... yeah that's not appropriate. Retract... Retract! The lines alone are worth the read. XD

I was the same way too Crystal. After book one, I got it.

Why thank you JJJ... If you know of any marketing firm that pays in book currency please refer them to me. XD I work for books. LOL

Crystal LMAO!! Retract!! Okay your mission if you so choose to accept it twinie is to use that line in a sentence today. haha!

LMAO! I would work for Bones..err..I mean books too!!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I think we all work for books. LOL Just got paid today and trying to figure out what I am going to buy tomorrow. LOL

Arlene LOL! I just can't say that. I mean you know I can joke about anything but there's some things that make me cringe, others that make me blush and Luc!fer's HBS makes me do both at the same time! LOL It pretty funny though. I'll maybe throw that out at you when you're least expecting it. Nothing better than a HBS in your face. LOL

Hahaha! You were right the first time Bones! LOL

LOL JJJ! I have a book addiction. It's no secret. XD

Arlene I am seriously in hysterics here... NOT.GOOD!!!

Crystal ROTFLMAO!! I know you just didn't say that XD I think that qualifies as using it in a sentence LOL!!

I have been laughing my ar$e off all day!! I keep rereading all our comments and they are all hilarious!!

Arlene LMAO! Mission Accomplished! I'm such a pleaser. XD Hahaha That phrase is so cringe worthy that I can't say it even in my head without looking like this => >.< LOLOL

Me too. When I can't LOL because of where I'm at, I get a headache, but DAME it was worth it. XD

Crystal I know! It is just so out there funny!! I mean who would think to say that??!! You did a great job twinie Mission definitely accomplished XD

So totally worth it!! I have a feeling I will be laughing for quite a while over this conversation! I am sure that Spades book will be filled with LOL moments. Especially since he delivered the LHBS comment LOL!