Noah's Reviews > Washington, D.C.

Washington, D.C. by Gore Vidal

M 50x66
Jan 27, 2008

Read in January, 2008

Washington D.C. is a historical fiction that vividly depicts what goes on behind closed doors in D.C. by following several characters from the New Deal era through McCarthyism. Mixing historical figures with fictional characters (who are all either related to an influential senator or a wealthy newspaper baron), the author humanizes the inner workings of our democracy and puts us in the uncomfortable situation of recognizing the flaws in even great leaders. Vidal compels us to not only see what happened in our country's politics during much of the 20th Century but to face the often unflattering questions about why things happened the way they did. What resonates with the reader throughout the novel are the similarities to today's political climate. It serves as a powerful warning against the trappings of a false nostalgia for a non-existent past. Indeed, reading this novel will not only entertain you but also convince you that the grotesque face of American Politics today is merely a reflection of a system in which the players occasionally change but the name of the game is business as usual.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Washington, D.C..