Jeanne Berry's Reviews > How to Knit a Love Song

How to Knit a Love Song by Rachael Herron

Jan 01, 11

Recommended for: knitters, romance
Read from December 27 to 29, 2010, read count: 1

This was a comfortable, easy-to-read love story with an element of suspense and a high level of intelligence and humor. It's much more sophisticated than what I tend to think of when I think "romance novel".

The main character (Abigail) and love interest (Cade) ring true; they are multi-dimensional and believable. Ms. Herron obviously fell in love with her characters and their stories. As a knitter and horsewoman myself, the fact that the novel centers around a sheep ranching cowboy and a knitwear designer fascinated with all things fibrous made it even more appealing. I've not attempted to knit the sweater pattern included in the back, but it's an additional treat.

My one criticism of this book is that the "bad guy" doesn't ring quite as true as the other characters; we don't see into his motivation or understand why he is the way he is or chooses to act toward his victim the way he does. Also, without spoiling the plot, the after effects of what the bad guy did to the victim would lead the victim to behave differently in certain situations than the victim did.

However, this IS a romance novel; in a perfect world, love conquers all, even post-traumatic stress disorder. Because of the deliciousness of the rest of the novel, I can overlook this detail, and I thoroughly look forward to reading her next book. I heartily recommend "Love Song" to anyone with an interest in fibers, knitting, cowboys, and love looking for a story to cozy up to on a long winter's night.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Knit a Love Song.