Lloyd Fassett's Reviews > Collected Works: Wise Blood / A Good Man is Hard to Find / The Violent Bear it Away / Everything that Rises Must Converge / Essays and Letters

Collected Works by Flannery O'Connor

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 25, 2010 to November 08, 2011 — I own a copy

I was really excited to receive this for Christmas this year. Don't know which bookshelf to put it on though as it's 1,300 pages long and I only plan to pick up between other books for a L-A-T (Long Ass Time).

I was turned onto her because I read Truman Copote's complete short stories last year. Southern writers seem to have a lot of things to say by talking about other things. The weather is warm, life is sweet and everyone is both poor and freaks. Much of both of these authors lets me indulge in my fascination with 1950's American Subversive Literature and Kerouac and Shelby. In both Truman Copote stories and the first two short stories I read in this book, it's about race, the south in the 50's and New York City. As it should be too as NYC cut a big path in that era. It was like going to Rome for these characters.

After reading the chronology of her life, the first story I read was "The Geranium", which was the first story she every sold. It was a part of her thesis from the Writers Workshop at Iowa. She re-wrote it as "Judgement Day" on her death bed and that's the second one I read. The stories are beautiful and contrast was very illuminating and like looking at a Christmas ornament from different angles.

The other intesting thing is the imprint Library of America is about keeping American authors in print. I really don't like the dust jacket, but the tissue paper is acid free so it doesn't yellow and the binding is stitched so the book easily lays flat. The pages seem smallish with slightly biggish print so they go by pretty quickly. I bet I buy Ramond Carver's Complete Stories from the same imprint, unless I can find a nicer to display dust cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collected Works.