Jeff's Reviews > American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House

Feb 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, lieberry_books, non-fiction
Recommended to Jeff by: Zeke
Read from January 30 to February 19, 2011

I assume this biography doesn't belong among the clan of worse-than-average biographies. My rating of 3 stars is an attempt to say to you that it is an "average" representative of its kind.

I am not a fan of biographies, though. I much prefer fictionalized life stories. I probably need Story quality narratives and i believe that biographies are limited to litanies of facts. Even when i sensed that Meacham was attempting to craft a story, i couldn't help criticizing him for fabrication, for reading too much into his source material.

If you like biographies, you'll probably really like this one. If you want a deep analysis of Jackson as a politician, though, even Meacham says to look elsewhere.

You probably should read others' reviews of this book. In fact, i'm probably only writing a "review" because it's so easy to do for this book: i have very little to say and it's mostly negative.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Lion.

02/16/2011 page 184
36.0% "I'll start by saying i'm not a fan of biography and i have considered myself apolitical since switching from poli sci to literature studies in college. It is unsurprising then that i'm not enamored of this tome just yet. There's a lot more in it than i THOUGHT i'd get, so i ain't givin up yet."
02/18/2011 page 286
56.0% "I want to finish this weekend!!!"