Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)'s Reviews > Rainbow Valley

Rainbow Valley by L.M. Montgomery

I didn't think I could love the rest of the Anne of Green Gables series more than I loved the first three books, but I did. These books are classics, beautifully written with outstanding imagery and description. I was looking for some nice clean reads after feeling like I'd had too much smut as of late, and the Anne of Green Gables series was just what the doctor ordered.

Anne's House of Dreams finds Anne and Gilbert newly married and moved away from Green Gables. I read a couple of reviews with people saying they didn't like this book because they didn't like the way Gilbert was portrayed, but I thought it was just perfect. This book was more bittersweet than the previous books in the series, but I thought that just made it more believable.

Anne of Ingleside is the last book featuring Anne as the main character. She has baby after baby in this book and her family is featured here. Anne and Gilbert have such a sweet relationship and I loved reading about her growing family. After the heartbreak in Anne's House of Dreams I was happy to see them so happy together.

Rainbow Valley was a little different from the other books in the series. It was almost entirely about the Meredith children, who are Anne and Gilbert's neighbors. The Blythe children are featured here but the bulk of the story is about the Meredith children. This book reminded me of book one, Anne of Green Gables in that it's about children who try to be good but always end up getting into trouble.

I loved these books and cannot believe that I missed them for all these years. I had no idea the books would be so much better than the movies (although I should have guessed it) and I'm sure that I'll be recommending this series for my daughter when she starts reading.

Just One Gripe:
I bought the Anne of Green Gables series for Nook for $0.99. I did not realize that book four, Anne of Windy Poplars, was missing from the set. So, I started book five thinking something was missing, and it was. If you're thinking about buying the series, just be aware that book four is not included in the Nook version.

The Best Thing About This Book:
I got the satisfaction of reading classic historical fiction without the hard work that classic literature sometimes entails.

Appropriate for a younger audience:
Yes, they are as clean as a whistle.

Score:
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Setting/Imagery: 5/5
Originality: 5/5
Ending: 5/5
Total Score: 25/25
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainbow Valley.