Paula's Reviews > Under Fishbone Clouds

Under Fishbone Clouds by Sam Meekings

Jan 13, 11

Read in January, 2011

This book began very slowly for me. I was not impressed with the overly florid prose or the strained attempt to mix myth with narrative. The insertions of historical notes were awkward and sometimes baffling - almost as if the author wanted to write a nonfiction book about early 20th century China, but felt compelled to continue with his fictional story. In the end, it was a worthwhile read, but nowhere near as compelling as Wild Swans. Meekings certainly has potential to become a solid writer, but the writing in this book seemed immature - as if he was trying too hard to write a great piece of literature. I would love for Meekings to compile more of the myths he used in this book and publish a stand-alone book of Chinese mythology. They are lovely stories, mostly unheard in Western culture. For those who are not familiar with Chinese history, particularly the cultural revolution, this should whet the appetite for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Fishbone Clouds.