Cat's Reviews > The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood

The Good Good Pig by Sy Montgomery

Jan 09, 11

Read on January 09, 2011

I absolutely loved this book, as not one but two dear friends said I would (thank you, Heidi and Jess!). The book is as much about how to make meaning out of everyday life and how to make family through connecting with other people and other living creatures as it is about the characteristics and life story of one happy, well-loved pig. Montgomery, who has an extensive background in journalism and creative nonfiction, interweaves anecdotes poignantly, connecting the lessons of her personal life with the experiences she has with the animals she encounters. Her portrait of her loving relationship with Christopher is complemented by her portrait of her loving marriage, her tight circle of friends, her remarkable tenants, and her complicated parents.

Montgomery has a gift for rendering other people as vivid as she renders the animals in her life (dedicated collie Tess, lovely chickens the Ladies, and of course the voracious Christopher). Montgomery also includes fascinating facts about the habits, species, and folklore of pigs. I look forward to reading her other books, but I'm not sure I could love them more than I loved this one. She evokes a cozy, grateful, quirky, full life--spent between a farmhouse in New Hampshire and the jungles of the rest of the world. She speaks of troubles and gifts with the same luminous investment in life and thankfulness. Every once in a while, a sentence hit me the wrong way--seemed too plucky--but mostly, her prose resonated for me, evoking how I feel about life and being lucky in community and furry friends and also my longing for a more harmonious relationship with the planet and with other creatures.

It is an utterly engrossing, delightful, and moving book with many many stories to tell of connection and redemption. I love her paean to the joys of fat (and appetite) courtesy of Christopher the pig.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Good Pig.

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess I loved this! Move it up your list. Fascinating and heartwarming at the same time.

message 2: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat That's exactly right! I was so moved throughout, Jess, that I read the whole thing today! I was still crying (happy/sad) at the ending when I wrote this review.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess So glad you liked it. I read it alone at a conference a few years ago and loved it (the book not the conference). So great.