Harlequin Books's Reviews > Precious and Fragile Things

Precious and Fragile Things by Megan Hart

Dec 24, 14

bookshelves: harlequin_mira, 2010-11

"Precious and Fragile Things is an emotional ride where every page delivers a new facet of the story." Quote from a review posted on nightowlreviews.com, to read more go here.

My personal thoughts for Pgs 1-85

I'm beginning to understand Gilly a bit by this point but I'm still puzzled by some of the choices she has made up to now. Weird thing is that I find myself liking Todd more than Gilly. Hmmm, maybe I should phrase that as I feel sorrier for Todd than Gilly. I think both have had a hard time of things and it can only get worse in the situation that Ms. Hart has created for them. I can't wait to read what happens next.

What was your initial reaction to Gilly and Todd?

My personal thoughts for pgs 85-125

Ok, Gilly is beginning to react like I would expect and it is definitely helping me warm up to her. I am on her side completely now. I think the scene that did it for me was the one with her reaction to the few personal items Todd brought her from her truck. As her emotions escalated so did mine. Oh, and I know what a temptation sleeping in could be so I really sympathized with that scene as well. Can't wait to read what happens next. :)

Were you surprised by who won the cookie contest?

My personal thoughts for pgs. 125- the end

Wow, that was quite the journey of emotional turmoil and self discovery. Ms. Hart threw some surprises at me that really changed the way I perceived Gilly and Todd. Each time I thought I had it all figured out something new would come to light keeping me on edge. When I came to the last page I was still feeling slightly shocked from the way it ended. I knew it would end badly, it had to, but I didn't see the way it would go down at all. After all that happens, is it weird that I still have concerns for the effect all of it will have on the character's future? Yes, the last chapter does tie the story up but I got so emotionally attached that I want all the little details of life afterwards, not that it continues with the knowledge learned during the crime and is better because of the journey. With that in mind, I still am eager to share this story with my aunt. She is in her late 70's and loves the genre. I'm under strict orders not to bring her any "foolish" books, just the ones that are worth her time. LOL Gotta love my aunt.

Kim S.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Precious and Fragile Things.

01/25/2011 page 1
0.0% "I'm starting this one tonight!" 2 comments
01/26/2011 page 85
21.0% "Wow, action packed right from the beginning! It was hard to stop reading when my daughter asked for help with a project. LOL"
01/27/2011 page 125
31.0% "Ouch, that had to hurt and the snow storm just makes everything worse. This is getting GOOD."
01/27/2011 page 199
50.0% "Anyone else feel like breaking all of Todd's cigarettes in half?"
02/05/2011 page 298
75.0% "Now I understand why everyone has been saying this book is heartbreaking."
02/09/2011 page 400
100.0% "OMG what an ending!"
show 2 hidden updates…

Judith Absolutely off the charts in so many ways. Reviewed this on my blog a couple of weeks ago. Megan Hart "rocks" anyway, but this is a gut punch in the stomach that just keeps on bouncing around in the brain long after the reading is over.

Laura (Kyahgirl) this sounds good...I've been meaning to read something by this author so I guess this is it!

Judith If you are like most of us, you will be shocked at how different this is. Both my daughter and I were just knocked off our nine pens, so to speak, when we got finished with this book. Just really one of the best books I have read.

Laura (Kyahgirl) ok, you convinced me :-) I'm going to get it.

message 5: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Fichera I've got to add this to my TBR. It totally intrigues me.

Brandy *Ahviel* hjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjlujpp8py

Sharon I can't wait to read it!

Brandy *Ahviel* yeah that earlier post is from my 3 yr old daughter LOL

Judith Those of us who have lots of kids ( I had 4 kids in 5 years) had no problem relating to the feelings of being overwhelmed that Gilly experienced. I, too, felt that as hard as my hubby worked, he still didn't have the 24/7 kind of burdens I had to carry, especially since all my kids were babies and toddlers all at the same time. The desire to be gone from that kind of pressure was often my companion, too. So the journey of discovery she made, even in the midst of her sense of being "buried" in all that snow as well as in that situation were completely understandable to me. I wished so very often that there was some sort of redemption for Todd, but there are times in life when a person runs out of options. I still think this is, by far, one of the most thought-provoking novels I have read in years!!

Harlequin Books Yeah, I only have one child and there were times it overwhelmed me so I could relate with Gilly's feelings. There were times I didn't understand some of her choices because of her deep love for her children. Bless your heart for having 4 little ones demanding all of your attention. Todd's part of the story tore at my heart.

Farmwifetwo, thanks for letting me know!

message 12: by Brandy *Ahviel* (new)

Brandy *Ahviel* I can't wait to read this book. I have a 3 year old as of Saturday and a 6 month old and as of now I am a stay at home since I can't find work. I find times I just want to either scream or cry

message 13: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Whoo hoo... I won!

Harlequin Books Catherine wrote: "Whoo hoo... I won!"

Congratulations Catherine. I hope you enjoy the story as much as I did.

message 15: by Brandy *Ahviel* (new)

Brandy *Ahviel* YAY

message 16: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine I'm getting all my spring/summer reads ready to go! Looking forward to 'em.

Harlequin Books There were days that I really hated the name mom. I thought I would scream if I heard it just one more time. Funny, I now look back on those days as precious memories that I wouldn't trade for the world.

message 18: by Brandy *Ahviel* (new)

Brandy *Ahviel* I am feeling that way alot right now. I never wanted to be a stay at home mom. but when having two kids close in age really working and paying day care just did not make sense. So here I am... I am just like what the heck...
I can't wait to read this book

Judith There were so many times I felt just like Gilly and because I was sleep-deprived and overwhelmed with four kids under the age of five, I didn't always make good decisions--not life threatening ones, but sometimes they were just foolish. I remember praying each night as I turned out the light: "Lord I know I made mistakes today; please let them be small ones."

Lacey I just got to this book, but I actually got this book because of you, I remember when it was on your currently reading shelf and seeing how much you enjoyed it. I'm loving it too! So Thank you :)

Harlequin Books You're very welcome. :) It's definitely one of those reads that would appeal too many for different reasons. So happy to hear you are enjoying it as much as I did.

Happy reading,