Ariana's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Dec 13, 14

bookshelves: 2011, paranormal, angels, favorites, great-books, series, beloved, rereading-material, best-of, movie-to-be
Read from September 27 to 29, 2011

"Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well."

I was hooked from the very first page.. yes, I can say that again.
My mind is full of beautiful stories of angels and demons (is that the right word?), stories of love and hope, stories of mythical creatures in a war as old as the world itself... My mind is screaming: I want more, I need more!

One word: Hope.
Two words: Amazing story.
Three words: I LOVED it!
Four words: Go read it NOW!

"Karou?" Akiva knew that word. It meant 'hope' in the language of the enemy [...] "Who is she?"

Karou was one of the best female characters I've ever read about. It's strange because she was so different than me, but I could so easily relate to her, to her thoughts, her feelings, her deepest whishes.
She is a beautiful girl with blue hair and a great talent for drawing. Her artworks show a different world with strange creatures and their stories. For everyone is just a lot of imagination.. for Karou, this is the story of her life.

But what is her life made of?

Love
Oh, how I could relate to her, to her theory about butterflies, to the need to feel them in your stomach.. but can you really miss something that you know you never had? I think that you can...

"Papilo stomachus: fragile creatures, vulnerable to frost and betrayal."

Longing
It's hard not to know your own story, not fitting in any world, always in between, always in the shadow, always looking for something and not knowing what, always missing something that you never had.. She always wanted more, she always needed more..

“She craved a presence beside her, solid. Fingertips light at the nape of her neck and a voice meeting hers in the dark. Someone who would wait with an umbrella to walk her home in the rain, and smile like sunshine when he saw her coming. Who would dance with her on her balcony, keep his promises and know her secrets, and make a tiny world wherever he was, with just her and his arms and his whisper and her trust.”

Friends
I loved her best friend Zuzana. She was funny and supportive and I wanted to be her friend too. She was the anchor that kept Karou on this world, the sunshine in her life.
"Hey! My body may be small, but my soul is large. It's why I wear platforms. So I can reach the top of my soul"

Also Karou's ex-boyfriend was such a piece of work. His confidence and charm made me smile a lot. I wanted to go in one of his tours, I wanted to know him better.. I know, I was not suppose to like the jerk, but even Karou wasn't entirely immune to him, so what chance did I have?

Wishes
Oh, keep in mind these wishes, as silly as they are. They are the essence of Karou.
"I wish my hair was blue"

I kept asking myself why did she want all those things..
"He shook his head, sorrowful. 'You can't know. You can't know until you know'."

Goulash
Because nothing is better than eating at Poison Kitchen - to be honest I even tried to google it, in case I get a chance to visit Prague. Deep down I wanted it to be real.

Family
There was a lot of mystery surrounding the 4 creatures that Karou thought they were her family. And at some point I thought that I had them figured out. I was wrong, so wrong, I wish I could start reading this story all over again and see the signs, because I bet there were many, I wish I could give them a big hug, I wish I could see them all (as grotesque as their appearance seemed to me), I wish I knew them sooner, and so does Karou.

Mystery
Karou's life is full of mystery.. no, it is a mystery. And as the book reveals new layers of her true story, of her life, of everyone around her, we get the chance to know more not only about Karou, but also about all those creatures that are part of her life.
"I like my story better. I'd rather be made of tears than darkness"

Prague
This is the only place Karou can call "home". She's been in so many places, trying to fit in, trying to make a life there, but the only place of her own, where she had a friend, was Prague. Even though her heart and thoughts belong to "Elsewhere".
“The streets of Prague were a fantasia scarcely touched by the twenty-first century - or the twentieth or nineteenth, for that matter. It was a city of alchemists and dreams, its medieval cobbles once trod by golems, mystics, invading armies.”

Hope
If I should put this story into a word, it would be "hope". Not only because this is Karou's name, but because this story is about a magical world, and magic in fact is hope.
"Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic."

I left Akiva out of this review on purpose - I will let you uncover his story on your own, but I will give you some clues:
- eyes like fire;
- love;
- wishes;
- cathedral;
- hand-print;
- battle field;
- masked ball;
- Madrigal.

You might think that I've said a lot, well I said nothing.. There so many stories and twists into those stories - this book will have you hooked from the first page until the very last one, and let me tell you this: sometimes the ending is just the beginning.

PS: Yes, there are a few things I didn't quite like by the middle of the story and I have to let them out (keep away from the spoilers, even though there are not too big): (view spoiler)

* For a better visual effect, see the full review at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
** Source for the top image: Jo-yumegari on DeviantArt
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Quotes Ariana Liked

tags: love

Laini Taylor
“Peace is more than the absence of war. Peace is accord. Harmony.”

Laini Taylor
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.

It did not end well.”

Laini Taylor
“Karou wished she could be the kind of girl who was complete unto herself, comfortable in solitude, serene. But she wasn't. She was lonely, and she feared the missingness within her as if it might expand and... cancel her. She craved a presence beside her, solid. Fingertips light at the nape of her neck and a voice meeting hers in the dark. Someone who would wait with an umbrella to walk her home in the rain, and smile like sunshine when he saw her coming. Who would dance with her on her balcony, keep his promises and know her secrets, and make a tiny world wherever he was, with just her and his arms and his whisper and her trust.”

Laini Taylor
“Hey! My body may be small, but my soul is large. It’s why I wear platforms. So I can reach the top of my soul.”

Laini Taylor
“The streets of Prague were a fantasia scarcely touched by the twenty-first century—or the twentieth or nineteenth, for that matter. It was a city of alchemists and dreamers, its medieval cobbles once trod by golems, mystics, invading armies. Tall houses glowed goldenrod and carmine and eggshell blue, embellished with Rococo plasterwork and capped in roofs of uniform red. Baroque cupolas were the soft green of antique copper, and Gothic steeples stood ready to impale fallen angels. The wind carried the memory of magic, revolution, violins, and the cobbled lanes meandered like creeks. Thugs wore Motzart wigs and pushed chamber music on street corners, and marionettes hung in windows, making the whole city seem like a theater with unseen puppeteers crouched behind velvet.”

09/28/2011
43.0% "I love it so far :D" 1 comment
09/28/2011
44.0% "Reading mode enabled :D" 3 comments
09/29/2011
100.0% "Wow..."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Miss Page Turner Oh? I didn't know this one was on Netgalley. I loved it so much!

Laura haha...I did the same thing! :D What a tease! :) We'll get our hands on it soon enough!

Ariana I just noticed this morning, and that made me so happy.. for about a minute or so. *sigh*
I can't wait for it to be published

Miss Page Turner Amazon has it in stock already;)

Ariana Oh, i didn't know. Thanks for the tip :D

Giselle Oh nice! Can't wait to read this I just got it for the Reader today.

Racquel You have it! Enjoy!! I cant to see how you feel about it...

Alyssa This is a great book. I hope you enjoy it :)

Arlene Happy reading Ari! :)

Ariana Thank you all.
I wish it was weekend to have a full day to read ;))

Arlene Yay! 5 Stars. :) That's the quote that hooked me too. :) So glad you enjoyed it. :D

Ariana At some point I was a bit lost, but then suddenly all the pieces of this puzzle were fitting - and oh my.. what a story!
So beautiful, so beautiful, sooo beautiful *sigh*

BTW, did I mention how much I love Zuzana? Oh, yes I do ;))

message 13: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Warren So excited for this one!

Jasprit Great review Ari! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

Laura Oh, Ari! That was beautiful! Thank you! I can’t wait to read it!!!! This review just bumped my whole reading plan out of order again! :D hahaha

“but can you really miss something that you know you never had? I think that you can...”---gorgeous line, Ari!!! Beautiful review!

Arlene Wow Ari, this is the best review I've read on this book! I love the visuals in your review and typically, I'm not a fan of photo art or clip art in reviews but you used them really well. :)

Yes, Zuzana was a pretty awesome character. So glad you loved this one.

Ariana Thank you all.
This book was really inspiring, and there are so many other beautiful things to say about it. The last part of it was mind blowing - I was expecting all of it, but was still surprised and I've enjoyed it enormously.

@Laura: I have problems with my reading list too - I have some books that I really want to read, but still others get my attention like shiny toys :))

@Arlene: Thanks a lot. I love photography, I still think that a picture can tell a whole story.. and this book left me a bit speechless, and I had to express my feelings somehow :))

Wendy Darling Hah, you obviously loved this much more than I did, but wow, what a great review! I agree with Arlene's statement above; I rarely like gifs and such in reviews, but when they're used well like they are here, they really enhance the experience.

Nicely done. :)

Ariana Sorry this series didn't work for you, Wendy.
I did like both books very much (even though there was something -in the first book- about the romance that at some point filled me with some doubts) and I can't wait for Dreams of Gods & Monsters.

Ronyell Awesome review Ariana!!! Loved this book also!

Ariana Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Ariana!!! Loved this book also!"

Ronyell Ariana wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Ariana!!! Loved this book also!"

Just wait for the next 2 books in the series, as this story is getting more complex and even more beautiful ;)"

Awesome! I just got book 2 in my list now!

Ariana Loved all 3 of them and if there was a 4th one I would devour it without even breathing ;))

message 24: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara Currently reading it and even though I'm only 1/4 in, I can honestly say I love it so far. Great review!

Abida AWESOME REVIEW!! I really enjoyed this book too. Hope you like the second on as well

message 26: by Rogier (last edited Oct 10, 2014 06:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rogier Amazing review. I just read it last week. I imagined Karou more Asian lol.(view spoiler)

Sarah Beautiful review for a beautiful book! This novel is very dear to me, and the quotes in this review make me want to re-read it.
Glad you loved it.

Ariana You are all right, this story is amazingly beautiful. The vivid world, the strong characters, the turnarounds... Perfect!

Thank you!