Melindeeloo's Reviews > Ascension

Ascension by Caris Roane

Jan 10, 11

bookshelves: immortal_warriors, paranormal-romance, angels, paranormal-romance-vampire, vampires
Read from December 31, 2010 to January 03, 2011

From the title of this promising paranormal romance series starters I was expecting angels, and while the winged warriors are very much like angels and while humans with special powers `ascend' to join their world, author Roane adds a thin vampire veneer and fangs, so the `ascended' become vampires instead of angels. The good guys of this world protect the Earth from other vampires who have succumbed to the addiction of drinking dead blood and who have become killers seducing their prey with an unearthly beauty.

I thought that the vampire angle was a bit odd but I am a sucker for a guy with wings, so this one worked for me. There's also some interesting dynamics/conflicts being laid out for the overworked hard-drinking warrior band - one of whom lives on earth so he won't kill the brother warrior he can't forgive, one who has turned traitor to fight for the enemy, another who will not use his wings, and the leader who keeps a woman hidden - and there are other issues which also mean that these guys will have to work to win their potential mates even though there is a mate bonding urge to give the pairs a little kick start.

I did like Ascension, yes there are pieces of this series which feel very familiar to someone who has read a great deal of paranormal romance, and personally, I'd have liked just a bit more male bonding moments, so really my only nit is that the author tends to overuse some her descriptions. But the potential's there and the series' version of mate bonding is steamy and cool - the pair seal the deal by being joined body, blood and mind - and that scene was really hot.

As I've already mentioned, Roane has already positioned some of the other warriors for stories and the next installments are coming not too far in the future with Burning Skies (Marcus and Havily) being released in May and Wings of Firein September.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascension.