Anna's Reviews > ADHD and Me: What I Learned from Lighting Fires at the Dinner Table

ADHD and Me by Blake E.S. Taylor

Jan 28, 08

bookshelves: self-help, memoirs, nonfiction, education-and-teaching
Recommended for: teachers
Read in January, 2008

I stumbled across ADHD & Me in the General Psych section at Borders. I was looking for a book that would fit my special ed professor's criteria (a first person account of living with a disability) for a book review. I've always wanted to learn more about ADHD (I'm totally one of those people that think it's often used as an excuse) AND the angle with which this book is written caught my eye.

The author is a freshman at UC-Berkeley, who has lived with ADHD since he was five years old. The book reads like a humorous (but enlightening) autobiography mixed with some advice (much of which I actually think it useful). The book seems like an ideal read for sufferers of ADHD (particularly middle school and high school students) as well as teachers. As a teacher, I was fascinated by all of the insight about teaching methods, discipline tactics, classroom decorations, and testing. It's also really, really well written!

Overall, this was a great read -- educational and entertaining. The reason it gets four of five stars is because I think the last couple of chapters were superlative. He could've wrapped it up sooner and got slightly carried away with writing a "happy ending" kind of an ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ADHD and Me.