Autumn Brady's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jan 02, 11

bookshelves: favorites, my-reviewed-books
Read from December 31, 2010 to January 01, 2011

Funny thing, before I read the synopsis on the back, I thought The Hunger Games contained vampires.

No this is not a vampire series but it reminds me a lot like King' "Running Man". These poor kids are picked from a lottery and are forced into a game of life or death. This should make me squeamish- that these twelve-thirteen year old kids (the same age as my son) are fighting each other to the death. It does but I think it's much more about keeping your humanity even when you are in survival mode. Compassion and love always outshine cruelty.

Amidst the violence, compassion creeps out, blooms and it is the compassion that makes certain game players unforgettable/famous. That's what I love most of all about this book.

I really admire Collins because she remembers how it felt to be a teenager. She does not underestimate her YA readers. They can accomplish amazing feats and it's thrilling for an author to have that much faith in them. Her instincts made a great book for them and for the rest of us. With books like this, there will always be readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.