Christine Pakkala's Reviews > The Water Wars

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher

Dec 31, 10

Read in December, 2010

I'm glad I didn't go with someone's review on this site because this is one of the best books I've read this winter. My family (60 + parents, younger teen brother) went to my uncle's house for Xmas and all of us read (and fought over) The Water Wars which was my advanced copy. It's funny because my Mom loved Stephane Meyers' books (ugh) and my brother loves those Philip Pullman (Sp?) books and my Dad reads James Patterson, but we all liked this book.

I'm always a little wary when a male author writes from a female perspective but Stracher pulled it off really well. The romance reminded me a bit of the romance in The City of Embers because it's just right for that age--not loaded with sex--but you don't want it to be. And Vera is lovely. I liked the way she saw the world. Page 100, for example. "The world was too large and complex to grasp. The intricate allegiances of governments and people seemed to flutter as unpredictably as that butterfly in the jet stream. I was just a girl trying to find my brother, my friend, and my way home." I believed her!

I think this is one of those books that would translate really well to film, btw. The baked dry landscape--the gaming center---even the dystopian characters like Torq and Ulysses would be amazing to see.

Give this book a chance. It's spare--don't go to it for epic length or flowery prose or tomes on each character. But the spareness suits the subject perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Wars.