JoLene's Reviews > The Tenth Gift

The Tenth Gift by Jane Johnson

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: pbt, dual-story, hf, read-2011
Read from June 09 to 19, 2011

I really wanted to like this book. The back description intriqued me as I love fiber-craft, historical fiction (especially about different locations than the typical england, france) and a dual story-line.

Alas, I guess that I had too high of expecations. I found the writing style to be very pretenious. It is a debut novel, but I think that it could have used a good editor. Some passages were filled with long run-on descriptions with big words (really wished I was reading on my Kindle instead of a DTB), other passages were in stunted english as the dialog with the Morocan people --- however it was more of a "me Tarzan, you Jane" feel and finally there were a number of sentences in french and arabic or berber (not sure which) without much of a clue of what things were said (so they must not have been important so why include them).

There were not too many likable characters either --- especially in the modern story. The historical story seems like it could have come from any generic bodice ripper, even though it is based on an initial real event (kidnapping of 60 english men, woman and children from a church in 1625). The story became more interesting to me once Cat got to Moracco, but neither of the love stories felt fully developed.

Maybe it was the fact that I thought I would love this book that has lead to such a disappointing experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tenth Gift.

06/09/2011 page 25
06/13/2011 page 120
30.0% "This seems to be a slow read --- too bad, I love needle arts, morroco and dual timeline stories"
show 1 hidden update…