Amy's Reviews > Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook

Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain

Dec 31, 10

bookshelves: food
Read in December, 2010

If you are already a fan of Anthony Bourdain, then you will most like enjoy this book. If you are not already a fan of his, this book will be no help to you. Much of the book seems to be written for people who follow Bourdain's career and various exploits; like he mentions several times that he ran into some trouble in Beirut, but as he's written about that elsewhere, he doesn't feel the need to talk about it again. Not exactly helpful if you didn't already know that. Similarly, he's got a long list of heroes and villains (as he defines them), and in most cases he doesn't actually explain who any of them are. Clearly, the book was written for insiders, or people who consider themselves insiders, so if you are neither one of those things, you're basically of SOL. Which I suppose is indicated in the title, but I think I thought this might be an interesting book for "the people who cook" at home, every day, who make an effort to feed themselves (and their families) well, even with no advanced schooling, whose cooking never moves beyond 'hey, I can follow a recipe pretty well, and I think it tastes good', and the book totally is not. Although I did enjoy his staunch defense of Tom Colicchio and the integrity of Top Chef.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medium Raw.