colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ±'s Reviews > Skulduggery Pleasant

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

1209800
I will freely admit that a good part of the consideration of this 4-star rating is that I'm really enamored with the whole idea and premise of the thing - the animated skeleton, who's also a wizard, and a detective? It's like Harry Dresden and Bob all rolled into one snarky, crime-fighting, bad-guy-stopping-pacakge. So, if the execution faltered here and there - the idea is just too cool.

Another part of the 4-star rating is that I like the characters. I like Skulduggery and Stephanie, and I can see how she has great potential to grow as a character. Tanith Low is really cool, too - a nice mix of age and ability, with a sometimes youthful openness. And Mr. Bliss and Ghastly are interesting additions. Where the story is strongest is in the character interactions - their banter and the wit and humor peppered through-out made it enjoyable.

That said - I had trouble following the action sequences. And there's a lot of action. (One of the blurbs for the book says it's movie ready, and I agree, but I don't necessarily see this as a good thing - because I'd like, at times, a bit more depth.) But I couldn't always quite get a handle and "see" what was going on in my head. The action is also a bit repetitive - they sneak about, get found, fight it out, get overwhelmed, run away... only to repeat the pattern again. And again.

Also, the plot is pretty standard good vs. evil kind of stuff - complete with hokey villian and annoyingly incompetent good guy council, whom the rouge, and mistrusted agent, must work around to defeat the bad guy.

I think, for the target age group, they'll be so caught up in the characters, the banter, and the downright cool magic tidbits unique to this world (like the reflection thing), and they won't care a wit if the villian's cartoony. But, for me, while I still enjoyed it, it was weak in places.

That said - I'm still itching to get my hands on the next in the series. I hope that the pros stay strong, and the weaknesses get fleshed out a bit more, because this has the potential to be a really good, and really fun series.

p.s. There's a short story at the end, in the Extras section, which is really good and funny, and which gives me a lot of hope for the possible future of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skulduggery Pleasant.

01/17/2011 page 57
14.0% "I'm not very far into the story yet, but I'm really enjoying the writing. It's got that wry humor which is right up my alley."
01/18/2011 page 300
72.0% "There are times when I'm really enjoying it, and times when I'm sort of just going along with it. I definitely want to read the next in the series, though."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Person (new) - added it

Person wow. i didnt see any weakness. no offense though, still a great review