Josephine Myles's Reviews > 911

911 by Chris Owen

Dec 31, 2010

bookshelves: contemporary, m-m, m-m-m, romance
Read from December 31, 2010 to January 01, 2011

*4.5 stars*

This m/m/m ménage story starts as a conventional m/m romance when firefighter Drew takes on a new lodger, trainee doctor Scott. Drew is out but Scott is very much in the closet, and the two men dance around each other for a while, becoming close friends before risking messing things up by taking the relationship further. The sex is explosive and plentiful (it always is with Chris Owen), and although their relationship is relatively angst-free, both men find the long hours and shift patterns mean they spend far too much time on their own. They discuss the theoretical possibility of adding a third, but although there is a man Scott likes, he doesn’t want to risk it as he knows he wouldn’t want it to be a one-off.

Scott and Drew eventually take on a new lodger, Eric the EMT. The three become close friends and the sexual tension is palpable, but Eric is too wary of destroying both a new friendship and Scott and Drew’s relationship to initiate anything. But the inevitable happens and Eric falls in love with both Scott and Drew, and is welcomed into their relationship.

There is a lot to recommend 911: the characters are all well-adjusted men who talk things through, but who also all have distinct characters which complement each other. Drew is lively and gregarious, Scott quiet and intense, Eric laidback and thoughtful. I could understand why a relationship between the three of them would work beyond the obvious advantages in the bedroom. It helped that Chris Owen takes the time to build up the friendship between them, and doesn’t forget to include plenty of plot inbetween all the sex scenes.

One thing that annoyed me a few times, though, was the lack of descriptive prose. There was a point where I couldn’t even remember what Scott and Drew were meant to look like, which made me think that they hadn’t been sufficiently described in the first place. However, Chris Owen’s spare prose works really well in the sex scenes – they never overstay their welcome and I’ve never read anything that made me laugh unintentionally. If you’re going to write a book with this much sex in it, it helps to keep the scenes short and hot, concentrating on the emotions rather than flowery language.

I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes ménage erotica, but who wants a decent plot, likeable characters and a believable relationship to hold together all the smutty goodness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 911.

07/17/2016 marked as: read