Elysium's Reviews > The Red Queen

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

Jan 07, 11

bookshelves: historical, medieval, wars-of-roses, read-in-2011
Read in January, 2011

Margaret Beaufort wants to devote her life to church but is instead maried off to Edmund Tudor when she is 12. He dies soon after that but manages to get her pregnant before that. After her son Henry is born, Margaret devotes her life to get him on the throne.

I don’t think I’ve ever hated any character so much as I hated Margaret! By page 60 I just wanted to stab her. She think she is England’s Joan of Arc ans is here to deliver England from the Yorkist. I got it, she’s pious person and loves to spend time in praying. I don’t need to be reminded of it on every page. And what up with Margaret and her “saint’s knees”? I read that way many times.

I think the book suffer from first person narrative. Margaret spends most of her time in the countryside and much of the happenings must be told in letters. I

All in all I enjoyed The White Queen more than this. I just couldn’t stand Margaret and it took a lot from the reading.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Queen.

01/06/2011 page 50
12.0% "Margaret sure knows she's special."

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Misfit I couldn't agree more.

Kristen Make that another that couldn't agree more! I couldn't even give the book two stars. You were generous!

Elysium Maybe I was :D But I've given 1 star to books I haven't even finished so that 1 star came from that..