AH's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: angels, young-adult, library-finds, cc4-challenge, fantasy, first-in-series, nephilim, zzread-july-2011
Recommended to AH by: Tatiana G.
Read from July 01 to 02, 2011

Awesome book.

What a pleasure to read. Unearthly is the kind of book that's hard to put down. I literally did not want it to end, it was that good.

Unearthly is the story of Clara, a 16 year old girl who is part human, part angel. She is beginning to come into her powers and learning about her purpose in life.

What makes this story stand out from other angel books in this genre is that it works.

1) Great story - Cynthia Hand weaves a fantastic story. She has thoroughly researched her subject matter and has made her characters and her setting feel three dimensional.

2) Parental involvement - The young adult book has a parent who is present, loving, and involved in the main character's life. No head in the sand for this mom. As a mom, I appreciate this.

3) Great characters - I'll admit it. I fell for both Tucker and Christian. I love them both. Tucker is a real gentleman, patient, kind, and devoted. I felt the same way about Christian. Clara's character was great - no angsty, emo outbursts from Clara. Mess with Clara and she won't act like a wet rag. No stalking, homicidal boyfriends here.

4) Healthy relationships - Let me repeat this - no stalking, homicidal boyfriends in this book. Lots of normal teenage activity and some great outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, rafting, etc.

I hear that there is another book planned. I want more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

07/02/2011 page 435
100.0% "Awesome book! So relaxing to read. Time just flew by. I want to read it again and again."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hannah Hope you like it :)

The Holy Terror I actually liked this one a lot, but the first 100 pages or so were hard to get through.

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I'm really enjoying it. I sat down to read it last night and flew through those first 100 pages. I understand what you mean, though.

Wendy Darling I'm so glad you loved this, AH! Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face. :)

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Wendy - I'm so glad to put a smile on your face :)

It really was a pleasure to read. Now I want to go to Wyoming and see those mountains.

Greta is Erikasbuddy WOW!! A YA book that is AH 5 Star Approved!!! YOu know its good when you lover dove it ;)

Awesome review!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Greta, I think you might like this one. No werewolves, the story is really well done and the boys are just the cutest. I wanted to be 16 again and in love with Tucker!

Greta is Erikasbuddy NICE!! I'll go request it from the library ;) I've heard some really awesome things about this story and I soo couldn't wait to hear what you thought when I noticed you were reading it ;) Squee squee!

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH ...and I want to go to Wyoming now and see the beautiful mountains.

I keep joking with my husband that we have to go on our own "literary" tours. We could go to Scotland for the Highlander series, to Ireland for Fever, and now to Wyoming. I just read a book about India, might be fun to add that too. Just need a couple of bucks and I'll pack my suitcase, LOL.

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOL!! That would be fab, huh?!!!

You can drop me off in Nevada on your way to Wyoming ;) I just met a nice cowboy book-love that I want to go meet ;)

Giselle Props to no stalking boys!

message 12: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Giselle wrote: "Props to no stalking boys!"

Refreshing, huh?

Ronyell Great review AH!! I can't wait to read the sequel of this book!