Brenda C Kayne's Reviews > The Age of Reason

The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: philosophy-spiritual, non-fiction
Read from December 31, 2010 to February 03, 2011

This is a wonderfully fresh perspective on religion. Oh my goodness, he sounds like the ultimate Unitarian. I believe his background was Quaker. There is an innocence about his rationalism and/or reasoning that is delightful. I laugh out loud at some parts, but he was dead serious about it and the painful part of it is that he wrote this while imprisoned for his beliefs/non-beliefs. He is over-the-top, but there are some great truths and it makes one feel, well, patriotic, even though the subject matter is not about politics or the government. He is quite the bold American.

I'm reading this on the Nook. It is not easy to highlight or take notes, I've discovered. In time, there will be versions of the Nook that those options will be a cinch to use. Not yet!

I wrote the above while reading the book and now that I've finished it, I realize that Paine was an ardent Deist and influenced many in America. He vehemently disliked the Bible and has no patience or understanding with the spiritual culture of primitive peoples. He spends a great portion in the book trying to prove how historically untrue the bible is and all the contradictions it contains. He has hateful things to say about Christians and Jews.

He is at his best when he is not critiquing the bible, but espousing his view of the world, which I find fascinating and valid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Reason.