r.b's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read in June, 2012

It is pretty fun to get to read about one of my favorite things (gardening) written by an incredible author; I loved the descriptions of growing various vegetables and preserving food when it is fresh and local. I also enjoyed her daughter's reflections at the end of each chapter.

There was a tone throughout this book that made me feel defensive, which is odd - because if Barbara is preaching - I'm part of the choir! As an urban homesteader, I found myself cringing every time she bashed city-dwellers' knowledge of food origins; as a social worker, I believe there are layers of problems contributing to the choices people make about food.

If it wasn't for the last chapter, I probably would have rated this a two star book; her friend Joan's question: "how do you encourage people to keep their hope, but not their complacency?" definitely stuck with me and I absolutely adored reading about the turkey life-cycle....thus, the 4 star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.