Smitha's Reviews > Wraith Squadron

Wraith Squadron by Aaron Allston

F_50x66
Dec 30, 10

Read in December, 2010

It's always tough when you're introducing a totally new cast of original characters, and the leading/governing characters in this book only had very minor roles in the original films (with very brief cameos by the Big Three). Still, it just didn't have the same human-oriented feel as Michael Stackpole's Rogue Squadron books. I could be biased, though, because I think Stackpole wrote THE most human book in the entire Star Wars Expanded Universe: "I, Jedi," set in the first-person, which is also among my favorite EU stories.

It also threw me off that Wedge is 28 in this book, since I'm currently around that age and he sounds much, much older and more "stale" than any 28-year-old I know. And I didn't feel that any of the female characters were handled realistically--Allston has a far better grasp of the male voice. (Tyria throughout the book made me roll my eyes for some reason. And it seems like every human female in the book was described as "tall, slender, and beautiful." Seriously?)

This was still a fun and light read, though. I'd actually started it numerous times over the years but kept giving up or losing track of it about halfway through for some reason. It was nice to actually finish it off. And I have read WAY, WAY worse as far as Expanded Universe novels go.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wraith Squadron.