Brian's Reviews > Integral Psychology: Consciousness, Spirit, Psychology, Therapy

Integral Psychology by Ken Wilber

Dec 31, 08

Read in November, 2008

Wilber always amazes me with his ability to cut right to the heart of so much of modern thinking on particular issues. I know so little about modern psychology that I feel at a loss to rate the job he does in explaining the cardinal works and major interpretations of those works in this book, but most of the information I had prior knowledge of coming into this book he was spot on with. I really like the approach that Wilber takes to philosophy/spirituality/psychology/etc. but am skeptical of the holarchy approach. There is something very powerful in the way that Wilber writes, but also a frustrating element in his writing that scares me. I really like what he is saying, but his tone in referring to other's work and in defending himself from criticism tends to turn pretty nasty and petty at times. I can't put my finger on exactly why his writing puts me off, because I really want to like what he is saying and I know his writing comes from a place of sincere interest in truth of experience and expression of that experience. There is simply some part of his work that holds me at arms length. I always enjoy his work and will continue to read more of what he has done, because I feel his books are powerful and mean something. This book gives a unique, integral perspective on psychology, and continued movement in this direction is something that literature needs more of.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Integral Psychology.