Halik's Reviews > Foucault's Pendulum

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

M_50x66
Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, thriller, unfinished, fiction
Read from December 31, 2010 to January 06, 2011

what can i say? Bit over my head. Picked it up cause i heard this was 'an intellectual's Da Vinci Code' not that i'm much of an intellectual but this notion challenged me.

But what we have here is a thriller probably meant almost exclusively for those with a steady background in occult sciences and European religio-mythical lore.

Eco explores how human desire to explore the 'world beyond senses' or reality beyond what we perceive leads them to create all forms of manifestations, beliefs and practices. He also talks about how all these stuff is weirdly interconnected.

But while questioning the solidity of such superstitious notions, Eco also questions the stark arrogance that the 'real world' professes in its convictions about reality.

The novel supposedly picks up towards the end. But it does so in constant overtures so heavily laden with obscure academic-ish references it was practically impossible to get my head around it to hear the 'thrill' part. Definitely going in my unfinished pile. pity.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foucault's Pendulum.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carmen (new)

Carmen I was waiting for your final review... well, yes, I don´t know what has happened to Eco after "The name of the Rose". This and "Baudolino" deeply disappointed me. I am not sure if my expectations were too high. I agree that in this novel the Eco semiotician is too present (only slightly blinks in the Name of the rose) and the reading is as heavy a lead :(

message 2: by Halik (last edited Jan 06, 2011 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Halik Phew :) so now i feel less of a dumbass..You know this i my first Eco novel and i was trying to decide between '..Rose' and this one. Guess i should have gone for the other. What did you think of 'The Name of the Rose'?

message 3: by Carmen (new)

Carmen I loved the Name of the Rose when I read it and all people I know do too :)) BUT now I am not sure if you will approach the book with reluctancy after your first time with Eco.

I think it`s a wonderful historical thriller and it is very nicely written. I particularly love how Eco cares all the small details I always pay attention to like the names of the characters and so on.

I hope you have not watched the movie and if so that you don´t remember much :))

Halik Ah nothing to worry there, i didn't even know there was a movie! yeah that's what i'm afraid, that my views of Pendulum will affect my reading. So i'll give it some time before i give it a go! Thanks :)