Mary's Reviews > How to Say Goodbye in Robot

How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford

Jan 27, 11

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from January 23 to 27, 2011

Maybe it's just me; I don't read much YA Lit because I find it to be superficial, and How To Say Goodbye In Robot is no exception. It is supposedly the story of the deep and meaningful friendship between two oddballs, but where's the evidence? Bea and Jonah are both fans of a late-night radio talk show (said talk show was frankly ridiculous) and they have a few mild adventures together, but I couldn't really see why Bea formed such a strog attachment to the unlikeable, miserable, manipulative Jonah. Bea's parents were cardboard cut-outs; her mother seemed to be going insane and then inexplicably got all better again, which was blithely explained as the result of therapy, antidepressants, and a few-days' separation from her husband. The father was barely there at all. Bea is allegedly a quirky loner yet she is oddly accepted by her peers, who all seem remarkably benign towards both her and the mysterious "Ghost Boy". Anyone who's actually been a teenager knows that this isn't realistic. Bea and Jonah are both mature enough to go into any bar and order beers without being carded and yet immature enough to think their silly plan of dressing up in disguises and doing a certain highly illegal thing will work. I just couldn't buy any of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Say Goodbye in Robot.

01/23/2011 "Why do I keep trying YA lit?? I'm only on page 17 and all ready Dorky New Girl has a crush on Dream Boat Boy. I know where this is going. How banal."