Alex's Reviews > Fortune's Favorites

Fortune's Favorites by Colleen McCullough

F_50x66
Jun 29, 08

Read in June, 2008

I finally got through this tome! Unlike Grass Crown this book progressed a little slowly. By the time you finish with this book most of the beloved characters from the first 2 books are long gone and you're left with a lot of "wait, who is that person?" ponderings. Those characters that are familiar, if only vaguely, you now can't distinguish as "good guys" or "bad guys." I must admit that would be my favorite part of this latest book of the saga and my new favorite aspect of McCullough's characterization -- she has a crazy knack for making characters actual people (in ways that they can never just be in history) in such a way that you forget you're reading a book and only realize it as an after thought.

Ultimately, there were parts of this book that hurt me: turns I didn't see coming, sad twinges of great love for past-book characters. I think my next step is to reread Suetonious before continuing on to read more of the Caesar stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortune's Favorites.