Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Then Came You

Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas

Mar 25, 11

bookshelves: author-lisa-kleypas, genre-historical-romance, bondage, books-i-go-rabid-over, favorites, my-hottie-harem, read-in-2011, keep-a-spare-pair-of-knickers, first-book-in-series
Recommended for: Historical Romance fans, LK fans
Read from March 24 to 25, 2011, read count: 1

Wow. I’m sensing another Kleypas craze coming on! Have I ever said how much I love this woman!? I may have mentioned once or twice, but I absolutely adore her historicals! No one can really compare with her. Kleypas is simply the historical romance queen!

Although this book wasn’t my favourite of her works, it was still pretty damn good! At first I wasn’t too fond of Lily. She was too showy, cared too much about being the center of attention and I didn’t like that at all. Lily says she doesn’t believe in marriage, but she goes through great extremes just to save her sister from a miserable marriage to Alex. But based on her personal experiences with men, I don’t blame her for feeling that way. I felt bad for the woman. The only real person she could trust was Derek Craven who kept himself distanced for his own personal reasons. So she sought out happiness herself, finding it in the way people admired her beauty and charisma. But deep inside, she was broken.

Alex is broken too. Even after years of mourning, he still hasn’t gotten over the death of his past love, Caroline. Where Lily is flamboyant and shameless, Alex is unemotional and cautious. He seemed almost dead in his personality. They were total opposites, but together, they have such chemistry.

I really enjoyed the bickering between the two. Kleypas just knows how to write frustrating experiences for her characters that just happen to amuse me greatly. No, I’m not sadist, but I find pleasure in watching Alex nearly have an aneurysm at some of the things Lily does. It just so cute!

And now I have reached what I have been desperately waiting for: DEREK CRAVEN! His book is beside me and I am already itching to read it! Ahh! I’m so excited! I can’t wait anymore!
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Came You.

03/24/2011 page 50
13.0% "I love the bickering between Alex and Lily! They're hilarious!"
03/25/2011 page 66
18.0% "Poor Penny!"
03/25/2011 page 115
31.0% "OoOh! This is getting goooooooooood!"

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Wait I thought you were supposed to read the contemps!!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I knooooooooooooooooww, and I will but I'm really interested in Derek!!! I'm reading them after this. Its only 2 books.

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen HA! He is the reason I am reading them too! Well it seems like you like it so far. Not that I had doubts that I would like her books.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Hmm, I thought Blue-Eyed Devil was the first in the Travises series. But it's Sugar Daddy. Need to get that ASAP.

I think for the rest of the month and early next month, I'm going to go through LK's backlist and read all of her books. I'll interpsperse thm with the new releases too.

It's good, Jen! Classic LK!

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Awesome. I am going to toddle off to the used bookstore at lunch. My kindle wants $8 for it and I bet I can get it for $2 there. Looking forward to it.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Woo hoo! We dont have very good used bookstores around here. I wish we did though. It kinda sucks.

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen We have one reallly good one. It is 3 stories. I kind of get lost though. And because they have some many books they do not catalogue. It is a bit confusing. I have like $200 credit there. I might have a reading problem.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Omgg, three stories!? That soounds like heaven! And your $200 credit would be nonexistant in my hands.

But do they have a good selection of books? The one I have here doesn't really. :(

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen They have a decent selection. You can always get older books. The newer ones are not as available- understandable though.

The bad thing about the $200 is that I buy so many new paperbacks (not as much now that I have my kindle) and even getting those used books I can't run down that credit.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Hmm, you're making me want to go right now and see what they have at my used bookstore! LOL!

LOL, yeah I know what you mean. But as long as you keep reading, I think eventually you'll be good :D

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Well that sucked. I found one of the books I was looking for but not this one. Oh well, guess I will kindle it!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Aww, that's too bad! At least you tried before you kindled it! Otherwise you'd be pissed if you hadn't

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Great review Annie, this wasn't my favourite either, but well it has Derek Craven in it so I was a happy bunny LOL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Suz! I think Derek made this series!

message 15: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 28, 2011 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Annie! And I agree. I just LOVE and ADORE Lisa Kleypas' books!! Most of them, anyway. And even the ones that weren't my faves were 3-Stars. Though there are only a few of those.

Annie, as for LK's Travis series, Sugar Daddy is the first, but you need to view it as a woman's journey (ie. Liberty Jones' journey) as opposed to what you would normally come to expect in a CR. Otherwise you'll be disappointed. There are some beautiful quotes in Sugar Daddy, though. Blue-Eyed Devil and Smooth Talking Stranger were much better, for me, and more like what I thought of as CR.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Jayne! I still have her Bow Street Runners and a new others to read of her historicals. I'm thinking I'll saving them for a rainy day. I just finished Dreaming of YOu! It's become one of my faves!

I heard similar things from other friends too. I'll keep that in mind while reading it, thank you! Hopefully, I'll get a chance to read them all in April!

message 17: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine I'm glad you were able to get into Lily, Annie. I never did warm up to her much.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I had a little bit of an issue at first. She was too showy, but then she grew on me as it went on.

message 19: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Derek is killing me in this one. He is breaking my heart!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I know!!!! I just want to cuddle with him! LOL!

message 21: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Once again, another good book from LK. And I LURVE Alex. I think my keeper shelf is solely composed of men from her books!!

Well not really, but it could be!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yay! I really loved him too! I have a whole shelf of just her books!