Connie Kuntz's Reviews > Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner

Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes

Dec 31, 10

Read from December 30 to 31, 2010, read count: Once

I did not expect Ultramarathon Man to be a tearjerker, but it was. I did not expect to laugh out loud, but I did. If someone had told me I would read this book while sitting on the edge of my seat, I would have told them to Shut Up, but, guess what, I read most of this book whilst sitting on the edge of my seat. In short, this was the most entertaining book I read in 2010.

In case you are wondering, this book is about Dean Karnazes. I read about him a couple years ago in 50/50. He's the guy who ran fifty marathons in fifty states in fifty days. This book isn't about his marathon abilities, though. It's about his tender heart. I realize he would probably sick one of his blisters on me if he knew I called him "tender hearted" but it is true. It is his tender heart that led him to run not only marathons, but 100+ mile ultra-marathons in mountain air. (This book is bookended with a charity one-man race that is almost 200 miles long.) It is his tender heart that lead him to grieve for his sister, be influenced by good (and bad) coaches, gain an appreciation for running with the tide of the ocean, nurture a lifelong love with his wife (whom he met in high school), raise children, thrive in corporate America, enjoy a terrific relationship with his parents, understand his brother and sister-in-law better, run for organ donations and, here's what I find so inspired, not only face his demons, but run with them, too.

This is a fun, hilarious, inspired, uproarious, rowdy book that is also centered, inspired, down to earth, beautifully balanced with masculine and feminine energy and honest. I loved it.

I think I should mention that my running mileage increased from 3.1 miles to 4.1 miles somewhere in the course of reading this book. The reason I think I should mention this is because I think it is arguable that this book isn't just for ultra-athletes. It is for anyone who has a tender heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultramarathon Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bill Completely agree! I was hooked! I've run 30 marathons/ ultra's primarily motivated by his tales, but was most impressed by his family focus!