Marshall's Reviews > Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do about It

Diet for a Hot Planet by Anna Lappé

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: ecology, health, non-fiction
Read from January 27 to February 11, 2011, read count: 1

Extremely well-written book on the connection between global warming and food production. It's honest yet inspiring, well-researched yet down-to-earth. There are a lot of details in this book, but it usually finds a way to stay engaging. It's clear this author has a penchant for debating skeptics and greenwashers, as she devotes much of this book to answering false claims.

Anna Lappe is the daughter of Frances Moore Lappe, author of the classic, Diet For a Small Planet. It's obvious that she's riding on her mother's fame, naming this book after her mother's famous book. However, unlike her mother, and other books that start with "Diet For a ..." Anna Lappe is not a vegetarian, and this book scarcely even mentions it, though it does recommend cutting back on meat consumption. This book addresses the whole issue, advocating locally-grown, organic, sustainably-grown, whole foods. I found her arguments persuasive, and I'm glad I finally found a decent case for organic agriculture, as I have been a skeptic for many years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diet for a Hot Planet.