Jenny Maloney's Reviews > Angelology

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

Dec 30, 10

bookshelves: angels
Read in December, 2010

There is no better storyline than the ultimate good-vs-evil/save-the-world storyline. And this book hits those notes very well. Trussoni touches on the same subject matter as Milton--The Fall, so it's hard to offer any kind of criticism on subject matter. You can't get much more ambitious or reaching than the battle royale between God and devils.

That innate conflict is enough to bring most readers from beginning to end. I finished the book because I was interested in how Trussoni chose to end that conflict.

But the issue with Big Themes and Storylines? Sometimes it's just kinda hard to buy. The angels' histories are well-wrought, even if they read slightly (okay heavily) new-agey. The presentation of the central struggle was muddled for me as a reader. There was soooo much stuff presented: lyres, Nazis, floods, spies, nuns, Rockefellars, and on and on that after a while I was confused as to what the central point/goal of the book was--and which character I should be focusing on.

A smaller, but no less distracting, element of the narrative was the character naming. I do not have a great deal of experience with angels--no more than a Roman Catholic upbringing will introduce--but did every single character have to have some kind of celestial name? If the Nephilim (the bad-angel descendents) really wanted to find any of these angelologists, all they had to check was a birth certificate and they'd know who their enemies were. Angela is the easiest, but Evangeline? Celestine? Serephina? Raphael? Michael? Gabriella? Really?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelology.