Laura's Reviews > Some Girls: My Life in a Harem

Some Girls by Jillian Lauren

Dec 30, 10

Read in December, 2010

This book tells of the experiences in a girl from the tri-state area that was in the Brunei harem. While not entirely typical (she's adopted, dropped out of school at age 16), Lauren is easy to relate to and generally likeable. She doesn't dwell on how she got her start in the sex industry, but it's not hard to read between the lines (father issues, needing to be loved etc). Her account is pretty upfront, and she dwells more on the sorority-like aspect of her living situation rather than the fact that she's a prostitute. Lauren was lucky; she didn't seem to have any truly bad experiences in the sex trade. At times, I almost wondered if she cleaned up the story or omitted the bad parts - most of the story takes place in the harem. She was working as a hooker in NY before that; she gives us the rundown on her first trick, but doesn't get into any details of her life as a NY sex worker.

I liked Jillian, and would like to read more of her writing - she has a good voice. I'd also like to know more about her life since this - she does let us know how her meeting with her biological mother goes, but I'm curious about how she told her husband and family about her past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls.