Raina's Reviews > The Inn at Lake Devine

The Inn at Lake Devine by Elinor Lipman

Dec 30, 10

Few novels manage to combine humor and sadness the way this one does. It touches on anti-Semitism without being heavy-handed, and brings a varied cast of characters to a new understanding of themselves and others. Lipman has a quirky sense of humor and sets up a wonderful premise here in an interesting location. You have to love a protagonist who, learning that a resort on a New England lake doesn't accept Jewish guests, sets out to expose the innkeepers in such an inventive way. There's a romance at the center of this novel, just enough off kilter that it kept my attention and my pages turning so quickly that I read this in a day. It is set in Vermont and Massachusetts in the 60s and 70s, yet it felt like my childhood growing up in the Catskills. This was a wonderful coming-of-age book that was well written and funny, with great dialog and characters who feel incredibly real. This is probably my favorite Elinor Lipman book!

Question: the dedication implies that this is based on a true story--does anyone know if it is?
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inn at Lake Devine.