Sue's Reviews > Lucas on Life

Lucas on Life by Jeff Lucas

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: christian, humour, read-2012
Read from January 01 to February 12, 2012 — I own a copy

Great stuff from Christian writer and speaker Jeff Lucas. This is a collection of short anecdotes and stories from his experiences in life, loosely gathered into categories such as 'growing', 'relationships', 'faith', and more. I'm not sure that they were particularly cohesive as categories, but it was as good a way as any of organising his thoughts.

There's a lot of low-key humour and some satire in these stories, some gentle fun poked at extremes within Christianity and the church in general, and much that was surprisingly thought-provoking. Sometimes there's a little twist at the end of a story, where Jeff realises he's pointing the finger back at himself.

It's not a book to read at one sitting; each small section of two or three pages is complete in itself, and I preferred to read just one or two per day over six weeks or so, giving me a gentle, lightly humorous start to the day and ideas to ponder.

Probably not of much interest to those outside church circles entirely; definitely not to be read by those who don't understand satire. But very highly recommended to ordinary people who love Jesus and wish that the church - in the broadest understanding of the word - wouldn't take itself quite so seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucas on Life.