Lisa's Reviews > Something Like Fate

Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

Dec 30, 10

Read in December, 2010

What a dilemma?!?! How can you struggle between fate and your best friend? First, I must disclose that I'm unsure what I think about Fate. Sometimes I believe in fate and sometimes I don't. When I started this book I didn't believe in fate and I thought Lani was a little crazy. But as the novel progressed and Jason and Lani become friends it was evident that, at least in this book, fate exists. Jason and Lani have so much in common and not just typical things but these crazy concoctions, like the color and shape of water?? (that I still don't understand). How can you keep fate from happening...a best friend. What I tough decision. My best friends mean the world to me and I wouldn't haven chosen the path that Lani did, but then again I was never in that situation.

I think Colasanti did a great job with taking a real life situation most people encounter and writing about it. Sometimes 'realistic fiction' isn't always realistic, but in this case it was. I really liked the characters and felt I could relate to them. I absolutely adored Lani, Jason, and Blake. Each of these characters were unique and well developed. They are definitely people I could imagine being friends with. I didn't like Erin so much. I felt like she was a very fake individual that I would not like to associate with, but she worked well for the character in the novel.

One thing I loved about this book was the quotes. I have to share a few of my favorites with you.

"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." ~Lemony Snicket

"The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected is what changes our lives." ~Meredith Grey

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Like Fate.