Jess Michaelangelo's Reviews > Bleeding Violet

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: fiction, horror, nook, own, paranormal, young-adult
Read from April 17 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy

I'm not quite sure what to say about this book.

On the one hand, I loved it. This is, without a doubt, the most unique book I have ever read. It was different, it was crazy, it was a wild ride, and I loved that.

Hanna was an awesome narrator. I mean, this chick is certifiable. The last diagnosis from her doctor said manic-depressive, but they don't even really know what all is wrong with her. I wasn't always her biggest fan--her personality could be a bit grating, and sometimes she was way too whiny. I think what I liked about her so much was just that she was so different. As much as I can relate to the shy, awkward, average-looking girl that pops up in YA so often, it was nice to be jolted out of the same old, same old.

Portero was a cool little town, too. All of this weird and crazy stuff happens there on a daily basis, so as a reader, you kind of have to sit back and enjoy the ride and just go with it. I'm definitely looking forward to re-visiting this town, that's for sure.

On the other hand, sometimes it was hard to keep reading because, like I said, Hanna and especially Rosalee could be very grating. And sometimes, the weird and crazy stuff came across as gimmicky. However, as a whole, it didn't detract from my reading experience, and I really enjoyed this book. I have to say, too, that it has been a long time since I have been that satisfied by an ending. It couldn't have ended any other way.

I recommend this for older YA readers (there are some mature scenes) if you're looking for something unique to cleanse your palate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bleeding Violet.

show 4 hidden updates…