Trissa's Reviews > Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground, 1981-1991

Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

Apr 08, 11

Read in April, 2011

You will enjoy this book more if you know the bands or if it was 100 pages shorter. I know this for a fact because I got the most out of the Fugazi chapter. I saw them in concert and have their CD (and they mention Yesterday & Today record store and Rockville!). They talked about how the band would call out people in the audience that caused trouble. One of the concerts I went to, that happened! And the tickets were always $5, just like it said in the book.

I got impatient with all of the silly band names (and the bands were together for like a week) and the "we're so cool, non sell-outs, yell into the microphone, I'm rich but live off of stale bread and sleep in urine/vomit saturated vans, we are SO underground" attitude.

That being said... It's neat to see the music progress from non-musical upper middle class angry teens to musical (is that a word?) hardworking job-holders. From chaos to control. Fugazi exemplified this transition. And the musicians' stories were really interesting and their overlap just an example or part of the definition of the indie-underground.

Great book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Band Could Be Your Life.