mark's Reviews > Talk Talk

Talk Talk by T.C. Boyle

Mar 26, 14

bookshelves: relationships, mental-health
Recommended for: readers who like character novels
Read in January, 2008

I read many of the other reviews and will use them for a springboard. This is a character driven novel. There are four main characters, 3 of who are extraordinary, 1 who is average. At different times, I identified with all four to the point of water rising in my eyes. (That's good writing.) It is a novel about the contemporary "The road trip." I love road trips and I identified with that. (That's good writing.) It's a novel about the struggle to be understood and I could identify with that. (That's good writing.) It's a novel about disordered personalities and does an exceptional job of getting that right. There is a beautiful, deaf woman who over compensates and becomes a Phd. There is an antisocial man who cares only about his freedom to do whatever he wants, which includes self-gratification through gormet cooking. There is a beautiful, superficial, historonic woman who happens to be a Russian immigrant. And then there is mister Average--a graphics geek. All the peripheral characters are not likable (That's good writing b/c I'm not distracted ... AND these extraordinary main characters had to get messed up somehow.) It is NOT essentially a novel about identity theft. The thief (guess who) doesn't steal the Identidy of other people, he steals their money via their paper trails. He needs money, and lots of it, to set himself free to do as he pleases. At first i didn't like the ending ... I said, "nah, no way." But then I thought about it. Ending a novel is truly hard because in life--the story never ends, even in death. This ending got it right ... most of time ... after "The Adventure"; people go back to doing what they've always done ... being who they are. Their lives go back to "normal"; for them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talk Talk.