RE de Leon's Reviews > D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths

D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths by Ingri d'Aulaire

Dec 29, 10

bookshelves: mythology, slow-digestion

d'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths has the distinction of being the first book I ever bought with the next generation specifically in mind. I was trawling Amazon one day and suddenly recalled a moment when I was ten years old, and I discovered a storybook of Norse myths. I recalled Thor with his eight-legged horse, and odin with his patched up eye and the rainbow bridge to Asgard.

And then I decided I wanted my kids to also have that experience, especially if I have a daughter. (I suppose that's because I think little boys will find strange adventure whether you hand it to them in a book or not.)

And of course, among books of Norse Myth, d'Aulaire's comes highly recommended, having been a favorite for generations. I haven't finished it, since I'm only glancing at it occasionally, on cold nights when I most feel the need for storymead. But the experience is always one of returning to the wonder of being ten again, and discovering Northern myths for the first time. The artwork, lovingly crafted, adds much to the experience.

If only we had similar volumes available for Tagalog, Visayan, Ilocano, and Cordilleran myths...oh wait, I'm already working on that. Sorta. :D

d'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths lives up to its reputation as perhaps the best introduction a child can have to the myths of Asgard and the other worlds of Nordic myths. And I certainly recommend the book as a sound investment, both for your own edification, and for the enjoyment of your own next generation of readers.

RE de Leon
2.30 PM
December 30, 2010
Agoo, La Union

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths.

12/29/2010 page 41