Paradoxical's Reviews > The Last Dragonslayer

1964421
Dec 30, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reading-list, books-otherwise
Read in December, 2010

The Last Dragonslayer was a charming book. Jennifer Strange was an engaging heroine--she was smart and did her best considering the circumstances she found herself in. There was a sense that she was more directed than anything else--for all her protestations, for all that she didn't want to certain things, she was unable to change what was happening and that, I think, more than anything else, made me unable to give the book five stars (well, there were a few other things, but this was the main reason). I much prefer books in which the heroine is able to accomplish at least some of the things that she sets out to do, instead of filling a place in some sort of prophecy (that she is adverse to fulfilling no less).

Still, the book was rather good. The world is just a step away from our own and had a certain charm to it. The book on a whole was amusing, if a little over the top at times. I absolutely adored the Quarkbeast, but felt like he was written merely as a pawn piece that had limited use (and mainly for humor, at that). Tiger was another great character who I enjoyed reading about.

For all that the story is self contained, I feel like there should have been more, and I felt that the resolution in the end with the king was rolled up a little too neatly. I wavered between three and four stars, but gave it four because I did enjoy reading the book. It was only afterward, when all was said and done, that I put it down and went, "That's it?"

A fun read, but a little lacking in some departments.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Dragonslayer.