Laura's Reviews > The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Feb 14, 2016

bookshelves: age-young-adult, favorites, genre-fantasy, wishlist
Read from January 15 to 26, 2011

I am totally floored. I love this series. It's the best urban fantasy I've ever read. I really love that it leans more toward fantasy than urban too. I never thought I would be interested in reading any fae series, but thanks to Kagawa I can't get enough of the faery world. This book is truly epic and I'm beyond excited about the next one. I actually squealed a little bit when I read the snippet about the next book at the end.

Now that I've gotten the fangirly part out of the way, let me tell you about this book. I began reading it as soon as I finished The Iron Daughter. I was so invested in the characters after that book. This one was no different. I'm so glad I could immediately read about all the characters I loved again. Meghan, Ash, Puck, Grim: the whole gang. I love how set-in-stone their personalities are. There are lines that are just so Puck or so Grim. It's great. It just makes me that much more attached. Meghan and Ash make me smile too, although Meghan can be annoyingly self-sacrificing sometimes. It never got to me too bad though. When I read the last page, I still liked Meghan, so no worries.

Let me start by saying that the plot is worth it, you just have to make it to the end. Through the first two books I was amazed at Kagawa's ability to totally surprise me. I never knew what was going to happen and, after a while, I stopped trying to guess. That didn't hold up quite as much in this one. I realized a lot of what was happening before Meghan did, and that's frustrating for a reader. It makes the protagonist seem a little dim. I guess I should give her a break since she's constantly thrown into danger and almost dies a lot. I suppose that would be rather distracting. The good thing is, Kagawa brings it back, in the end. The climax totally blew my mind and it doesn't just fizzle into an ending. She had more surprizes in store. I got to the point where I stopped guessing again and just read the book. It was satisfying. My emotions were everywhere. That is always the mark of a good book for me. If it can make me feel something, it accomplished its purpose.

For me, there are a few spots where it drags, but by the end you won't even remember any of that. I highly recommend this one to anyone who enjoys urban fantasy and young adult novels. It's great: another exciting and engaging book in this series that I've really come to love.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.

01/17 page 30