Liv's Reviews > Midnight's Daughter

4190183
Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: favourites, highly-recommended
Read from January 15 to 21, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I really liked the idea of having a parallel storyline to the Cassandra Palmer series. The heroine/protagonist of this novel, Dorina (Dory) Basarab, is the daughter of Mircea, who's also a major character from the Palmer series. What's more interesting is that you get to see quite a few recurring bridge characters from the other series, and the premise is that all the actions you see here are supposedly happening in tandem with all the stuff going on in the "war" that Cassie is in the middle of. I just wonder if Dory and Cassie will ever cross paths? In the last Cassie novel (Curse the Dawn) it was mentioned that Cassie found a photo collection of a particular lady in Mircea's room. Although it was not clear who it could be at the time (as I hadn't read Midnight's Daughter yet), it was clear now - it was either Dory or Dory's mother.

I hate to compare the two series, but I have to say that I liked Dory better - she can totally take care of herself, while Cassie sometimes still needs help from her "bodyguard" Pritkin. I also liked Louis-Cesar a lot. If I remember correctly, Louis-Cesar only occurred in one of the first novels in the Cassie series where he was supposed to stand in as a duel whiz for the Senate. Here, he was a major character, and we got a more in-depth look at his background. I enjoyed how their Dory and Louis-Cesar's relationship developed over the course of the book, going from antagonistic at first to partnership to potential love relationship. Although there wasn't a lot of romance in the book, you could definitely sense the tension strengthening and that something was definitely developing. Towards the end of this book, Karen Chance left their relationship kind of open-ended... and I craved more... So I am planning to read the next book immediately after this one and I certainly hope that I get to see more of Louis-Cesar and Dory in action!!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight's Daughter.