Ashley's Reviews > A Heart Revealed

A Heart Revealed by Julie Lessman

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: to-review
Read in September, 2011

Ask anyone, and they will tell you that I'm one of Julie Lessman's most devoted readers ( and that's not an exaggeration) and loved every one of her books. So why didn't I give A Heart Revealed 5 stars? Probably because I just didn’t get to see Sean And Emma as I'd hoped,and instead we got a look at the other couples a bit more than usual.
The story picks up where A Hope Undaunted left off. Katie and Luke have finally been married, and the next one up on the marital chopping block is sweet-tempered Sean, who is purely focused on work and content to lead the life of a bachelor. But God has other plans, they in involve an equally sweet and shyly beautiful, Emma Malloy. However, the story wouldn’t be Julie’s if it didn't have the sub-stories of our favorite Irish family, the O'Connors. Julie writes her characters with a beating heart, and at times, I swear I can hear them breathing, which is why you end up falling in love with the whole O’Connor clan. One reason I couldn’t give AR a full 5 stars was due to how slow the story seemed to start off. I mean Sean and Emma (the two main characters) didn't even kiss until much later in the book (which is practically a sin in romance books). In fact it almost felt as if Sean and Emma's story, as a whole, didn't really get going till chapter 12 or so. And I was excited to see more of them together, even from before I picked up the book.

When it comes to matters of faith, Mrs. Lessman is never at a lose. She tackles the gritty problems we don’t always see in Christian books, and shows through her characters, that by putting our problems in God's loving and capable hands, we can find forgiveness, redemption, and our heat’s deepest desires revealed to us in blessings. I can never read her books without crying, because she writes with a convicting passion, a true gift from God. And really, shouldn't that be what’s makes a wonderful novel? Of course the romance and drama doesn't hurt either.

Once again, Julie Lessman has written a romance novel that has more drama, passion and love for God in it, to keep you turning the page till the end. As always, I can't wait for her next novel.

Available September 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Heart Revealed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amber Stokes Oh, did you not like this book as much? I haven't really got that far into it, so I'm not sure yet what my thoughts will be...

message 2: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara I'm surprised by your rating...every review I've read says its great, and I expect it to be. Your thoughts?

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Sep 22, 2011 10:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley @Amber- I loved the book (and if you look I did change my rating), but overall the AHR seemed darker, than the others. And I found Mitch and Luke to be too stubborn for me. It seemed that the O'Connor women were getting all the heat, while the men went off and sulked. go figures. I probably just got into the WAY too much:)

Amber Stokes I see that now! :) And it's hard not to get involved in a Julie Lessman novel, right? ;) I think APMP was the one I really got into, though - I was rooting for Mitch after I met him!! Big crush right there, LOL! I'm curious to finish this one for myself... It does seem like it will be a bit darker.

BTW, so good to hear from you! ((Hugs)) I've missed seeing you around the blogosphere!

Ashley @Sara- I just finished my review, and I'm not sure if I explain all the things I didn't like about it (there weren't that many). I think the main reasons, are the ones I gave Amber above. And the fact it was way too slow for me. I just wished we got to see Sean and Emma a lot more than we did. But, I expect a lot of people don't agree with me, because Julie is such a great writer, it doesn't much matter what she writes about, it always is fantastic. :)

message 6: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Good to know, Ashley, and understandable! I can't wait to read it. :)

Ashley Amber wrote: "I see that now! :) And it's hard not to get involved in a Julie Lessman novel, right? ;) I think APMP was the one I really got into, though - I was rooting for Mitch after I met him!! Big crush rig..."

It would be a shame if we didn't get into them. And how could anyone read Julie's books and not crush on the hero? Although, I hate to say this, but Mitch really gets on my nerves in AHR. Like, I was yelling at him to stop being such a "pig-headed man". My whole family probably thinks I have anger issues. But they would too if they saw (read) how Mitch was treating Charity. :)
And {{Hugs}} right back at you. I've being in the blogworld and I'm hoping to revamp my review style, and starting getting more of them out there. But, we'll see. :)