Kita's Reviews > Nightmare

Nightmare by Robin Parrish

Dec 29, 10

bookshelves: ya-teen, booooooring, id-like-that-part-of-my-life-back
Read on December 27, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This book definetly wasn't what I expected at first. I thought it was just another kids hunt down ghosts-kids tamper with forces too powerful for their control-kids suffer with the added twist that one of them was an expert. I was very delighted that it had something more.

The flashbacks were easily the most interesting parts of the story to me. Although not scary, I've always been interested in hauntings so it was nice to see smart characters react realistically without going out of hand.

The present scenes seemed slower but pretty interesting, but almost not enough for me to read them with the sole purpose of getting past them so I could get to the flashbacks. They just seamed- dull and not thrilling and suspenseful enough for me to have an avid interest in what happened to Jordin and all of the other victims.

I really liked the arguments between Derek and Maia concerning Derek's attitude against the existence of ghosts and Maia's opposing. There were some annoying blocks of information that really annoyed me as I was reading though.

The purpose of the art professor and Pierre seemed to be for the sake of convenience.

The ending of the story really dampered my fondness for the story. The whole other-dimension/demon thing really made no sense to me in the context of everything that happened. To me, there wasn't enough foreshadowing or even information to support the fact that the demon/cube idea was plausible. Also, the explanation for why Jordin attracted a lot of phenomena was really lacking.

2/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightmare.