Jeffery Moulton's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

May 23, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, dark-fantasy, post-apocalyptic, 2011-books, young-adult
Read from May 01 to 08, 2011

A couple of chapters into The Hunger Games and I was really wondering what all he fuss was about. The first chapters failed in almost every way to excite me or entice me to keep reading. But I am very glad I did. Once I forced my way through the first chapters, the book grabbed me and it became a marathon sprint to the end.

The Hunger Games Is flat out amazing. It absorbs you in one of the darkest, most evil worlds I've ever read. And the scariest part is that there is a lot of our own society and culture in that world to make you pause and think.

The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic America. The United States have vanished, replaced by 13 districts, led by "the Capitol" buried somewhere in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. Years before this book begins, the districts led a revolt against the Capitol—a revolt that was quickly put down. As a reminder of their control over the people, the Capitol established the Hunger Games—a contest that pits children from each of the districts against each other in a winner-take-all fight to the death.

After the first few chapters, the book sails along at a breakneck pace. It is filled with enough deceptions, action, political machinations, and even romance that beg for a second reading. The deaths resonate with realism and the characters react in realistic ways to the violence going on around them. And throughout there is a dark feeling of menace and evil that keeps you turning page-after-page to see what is next.

I do warn you that this book is the first of a trilogy, which means that its ending really just leaves you wanting more, but the first arc is superb in its execution. I highly recommend.

I can't wait to find out what happens next.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miranda (new)

Miranda I totally agree with you. I think that the first chapters were boring, dull, and extremely forgettable. But once you get through, it is really hard to put the book down. I praise the author.