N W James's Reviews > Freedom

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

May 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ughmakeitstop
Read from December 29, 2010 to May 15, 2011

I didn't care one iota for any of the loathsome characters. Even 400 pages in I find that all of the 5 main characters are still floundering in the same ordeals they were stupid enough to put themselves in. I'm sure Franzen's point for all of this is somewhere in there, I just don't care to figure it out.

Seinfeld's characters were pretty terrible, but at least they were funny about it. These people are just too stupid to live.

No wonder it took me 4 months to get back to this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill I never read "The Corrections," but this one oddly intriques me. The family drama seems reminiscent of Richard Russo. What do you think so far?

message 2: by N W (new) - rated it 1 star

N W James so far so good, Jill. The first chapter has reminded me that I find his writing style to be unnecessarily complicated but his characters are interesting and the set-up feels as authentic as The Corrections.

message 3: by John (new)

John How did you manage 400 pages of waiting for "things to get better"? I can be stubborn, but you seem to really have me beat!

message 4: by N W (new) - rated it 1 star

N W James I'm not sure how I did it, John. I liked The Corrections despite some things about it that annoyed me, maybe I just thought I'd wait it out and there'd be payoff. I got to the part where he's looking for his wedding ring in the toilet and decided I'd had enough.