Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Metropolis Case

The Metropolis Case by Matthew Gallaway

Dec 14, 12

bookshelves: 2010, contemporary, fiction, historic-fiction
Read from December 29 to 30, 2010

The Metropolis Case is a book in which the story revolves around Wagner's Tristan and Isolde (one of my favorite operas). It's sweeping dissonance and harsh demands on its singers voices makes it an incredible piece to listen to and capable of catching the attention of even the most reluctant opera listener.

When I read the summary of this book I could feel my heart begin to beat faster - finally it seemed someone else could put into words a story that seemed worthy of that opera and I couldn't wait to open the book and begin my foray into the worlds of Martin, Lucian, Maria and Anna.

However, what the summary does not tell you is that, in their searches for love, there are less than traditional forays into that path. While I could have dealt with this aspect of the story (and potentially even enjoyed it), what I struggled with were the graphic, and sometimes a bit crude, descriptions of actions performed. This is not something I struggle with in just this type of book, but one I struggle with in other books as well. As my reading style has developed I've learned that to say less is sometimes all you need - the readers imagination provides plenty and there are some things which I really do not need spelled out for me.

So while I loved parts of this novel, the descriptions of the music, the intense love of opera shown (it's very clear that the author feels much of the passion toward the music as his characters feel), I was disappointed by the graphic sexuality of the book.

Matthew Gallaway has a way with words, it's impossible to deny that. His witty chapter titles, his descriptive passages, the ability to infuse his characters with passion, it's all there. Once again, I am feeling my "prude" nature, however, and it's that prudishness which keeps this book from a higher rating and will keep me from recommending it as much as I would have loved to.

(ETA - If you plan on attacking me in the comments, please don't bother. My review clearly states that it was only the graphic sexual descriptions that I felt detracted from the quality of the story. It's not necessary, no matter who the relationship is about - homosexual or heterosexual.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Metropolis Case.