Anne's Reviews > Miracle at St. Anna

Miracle at St. Anna by James McBride

Jan 02, 11

Read from December 29, 2010 to January 02, 2011

I read this book because I really enjoyed The Color of Water. I was mostly dissapointed by Miracle at St. Anna. I felt that although he was a good writer, his execution of the story was weak. He would create climaxes in the story that would anticipate this incredible outcome, and each time I was left very disappointed. I think the plot was a good one, but his overall ability to tell a story was weak. If McBride writes another autobiography, I will pick it up in a heartbeat because he is a good journalist. It is more his ability to tell a creative story that I don't like as much.

I also want to say that he had some sexual references that were NOT necessary! They were not even in reference to the soldiers, but the Italian villagers. And I feel that he didn't need to go in to those references to develop the relationship between villagers. Why can't authors be creative in developing characters and the relationships between them without laying all things sexual out there? It takes good creativity to leave some imagination to the reader to develop their own ideas of the relationships, without sacrificing the main points.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle at St. Anna.