Li's Reviews > Breaking the Rules

Apr 26, 2011

bookshelves: romance, series, suspense, read-in-2011
Recommended to Li by: Still an autobuy author
Read in March, 2011 — I own a copy

BREAKING THE RULES is the last full-length novel in the long-running Troubleshooters series, and while I'll miss these books, I would agree it is possibly time to wrap up this series.

BREAKING THE RULES probably isn't one for new readers, as the romance angle is focused on two longer-running relationships. The storyline isn't as addictive as previous books (on the other hand, what could beat the Alyssa/Sam romance?), but the book's still jam-packed with action and romance, though I found a few of the sex scenes slightly superfluous. And oh, the angst. If you're not a fan of angst, you may find this book slightly painful - me, I liked it ;-)

I have to mention topical issues as well - Suzanne Brockmann is definitely an "issue" author, and in BREAKING THE RULES, she packed quite a few in; we had gay rights, domestic abuse, alcoholism, child sex trafficking... and I probably missed some. It's something I expect when I pick up a Brockmann book, so the preaching didn't bother me massively, but it certainly isn't a subtle thing.

This was a very long book - twice the length of my other recent reads, according to my Kindle - and while it isn't amongst my favourite Troubleshooter books, I still finished it in one go. I'm curious to see what Suzanne Brockmann tackles next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking the Rules.

message 1: by Nath (new)

Nath Oh really? It's the last book? I didn't realize...

message 2: by Li (new) - rated it 4 stars

Li Yep, though she has an enovella coming out later this year When Tony Met Adam

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Could I just jump to this book? What are your favorites by her? BTW, I hate the flashbacks...

message 4: by Li (new) - rated it 4 stars

Li Have you read any of the previous books? I don't think this can be read as a standalone. No flashbacks in this one, IIRC.

My favourites in this series are probably the first six, covering the Sam/Alyssa relationship arc... none of the other relationships in this series have quite grabbed me the way theirs did.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been reading them kind of out of order. So it's a closed series? Too bad then.

message 6: by Li (new) - rated it 4 stars

Li One of Brockmann's things is having a relationship continue over several books - so you have a secondary h/h finally getting their book a few books down the line.

When done right, it makes their HEA very satisfying, but I do think there are a couple of downsides: (a) the ongoing arc distracts from the primary h/h or just becomes a distraction period and (b) if you skip around a bit, you miss out the backstory.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree and I don't think this is a smart tactic as you miss out on new readers with that type of set-up. I wouldn't mind their romance being in the background for one book but not several.